VINE VOICEon 19 October 2010
Add me to the list of people who drooled over this in Waitrose, then rushed home to order it off Amazon instead!

Home-made produce is enjoying something of a revival, due in part to the economic climate, I suspect, and perhaps also to the cup-cake hysteria that seems to be sweeping the nation. But what I really like about this book is that it goes way beyond preserved lemons (what the hell do you do with those, anyway) and home-made jam, to come up with some much more original ideas. Home-made fortune cookies. Home-made oatmeal biscuits for cheese. Rhubarb and vanilla vodka to make martinis with. Pickled shallots. Raspberry pastilles. Need I go on?

I've already tried a variation on the damson vodka - damson gin - (made by a friend) which was beyond gorgeous - thick and syrupy with a great alcoholic kick. And I'm going to make the sugar cubes myself - though will be using a jigsaw puzzle shaped cutter rather than the suggested heart shaped one so everyone will think I've bought the posh french stuff from Harvey Nics!

One tiny gripe - I find the pictures in this book (and many other recipe books) really inspiring, but wish the authors would tell us where we can source all the great presentation materials, like the american-style chinese takeaway boxes for the fortune cookies and the metal shot glasses for the limoncello.

Other than that, a really great book.
22 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?