on 17 June 2004
I've been a huge fan of The Calling ever since I bought their album on whim after hearing Wherever You Will Go. I wasn't disappointed by Camino Palmero;it's one of my favourite CD's and I certaintly am not disappointed by II.
The Calling's sound and song-writing have both developed and as a result II is a much more mature album. I was surprised by the subjects that the songs cover; The Calling's songs are about suicide, hope, self-belief which I find refreshing considering that in the UK we are used to cheesy pop songs with stupid meaningless lyrics.
One By One = Could be about a variety of things although I perceived it as being about suicide. Has a great intro and is fantastic rocky start to the album. One of my favourites.
Our Lives = The first single has a very optimistic outlook about living life to the full. Is good to listen to when you need cheering up as it's very positive.
Things Will Go My Way = Possibly my favourite song on the album although it's hard to decide! This song is my equivalent to Stigmatized and Could It Be Any Harder as I can listen to it countless times! Beautiful lyrics and beautiful arrangement as well as fantastic vocals. Love it!
Chasing The Sun = Very catchy, summery song which will get your feet tapping. Probably the only proper 'love song' on the record but still very good.
Believing = Although this isn't as catchy as some of the other songs, Believing is another one of my favourites. The lyrics are so inspiring and Alex's vocals are really touching - made me knees go weak the first time I heard it!
Anything = Another great song. Very catchy with great lyrics and a fantastic rocky 'vibe' to it. The acoustic version is absolutely beautiful too.
If Only = The first time I heard this, I was a bit dubious from the opening seconds but now I love it. A bit of a darker sound maybe but once the chorus kicks in you'll be hooked.
Somebody Out There = Not one of my favourites but still a great song nonetheless. I find the lyrics very intriguing - about faith and God, which makes me appreciate the song even more.
Surrender = Ok, the first time I heard this I actually blushed! Fantastic song, another one of my favourites! Sorry to keep babbling on about the lyrics but they really are fantastic here and the song is mega-catchy.
Dreaming In Red = A very pop/rock song, more poppy than I am used to from TC but is still very catchy although I have no idea what it's about!
Your Hope = Incredible, inspiring, thought-provoking, emotional ... just a few words to describe this song. I think many people will be able to relate to it and it's just beautiful.
For You = Taken from the Daredevil OST, it's not one of their best songs but the acoustic version is great and a nice addition to the album.
London Calling = Was originally done by Clash, a good song, good vocals.
All in all, this album is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Although very different from Camino Palmero, it is a fantastic follow up and shows how Alex and Aaron have matured. It may take a few listens for the tracks to grow on you and to properly appreciate how magnificent they are, but once you do you will be blown away. I highly recommend II to everyone who loved Camino Palmero and to everyone who loves good music.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details