on 9 June 2012
I used the cassette version of this from my library. Although I understand that some people find the level of repetition tedious, it is actually a great way of getting the language into long term memory, so I have no criticism of the actual teaching method, although I prefer the Michel Thomas technique, which enables you to formulate your own sentences more quickly. (Not available in Czech yet, unfortunately!) I liked the long pauses so that I could do something else at the same time without having to stop the tape. The reading exercises take things a bit further.

What shocked me was the way that the 30 lessons are described as a comprehensive course worth over £200. The course does an excellent job of getting you through basic social and tourist situations but that is about it. The material took me about a week to get through, and I was disappointed that there was nothing to move on to from there. I know that some of the other Pimsleur courses go much further than this, with many more lessons (I have also used the Japanese course from the library) so I feel that this short course is being mis-sold as something more than it is. As soon as Michel Thomas produces a Czech course I will snap that up instead.

Having said all that, if the course is available in your library, go for it. It works, just not for very long.
What's this?