on 15 April 2012
As an avid Sherlock Holmes fan, I usually don't expect much from new adaptations as there is enough rubbish for quite a sizeable scrap heap ((hint: the last two films starring Robert Downey jr. and Jude Law being the top of the heap). But after having read some great reviews praising this series, I had to give it a go. I must admit that I also was skeptic of the idea of placing Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century (yeah, I am quite a traditionalist), but upon seeing the first episode, I was stunned. What a great performance! Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant in the role of Sherlock Holmes, the film makers could not have asked for a better man to do the job. Case in point, the introduction scene where Watson meets Sherlock for the first time is outstanding and captures strikingly the acuteness of Holmes' abilities in a mind-blowing way. Watson, played by Martin Freeman, is also a great choice by the film makers. I feel he embodies the personality of Watson as I personally have imagined him, but with adding his own flavour to the character as well, which is good. Andrew Scott also makes a dazzling performance, blending a perfect mix of cunning, intelligence and pure insanity for the role of Moriarty.

The episodes are well-directed and thrilling. They are not predictable, as the film makers have based the episodes on the real Holmes stories but changed them with new twists, which I like very much. The Sherlock Holmes universe shouldn't be static, even I realise that. There are six episodes on this DVD, each and every one are well-made though I for some reason particularly liked the first and the last episodes the most. That is a matter of taste. If you like Sherlock Holmes, you will like this series. I strongly recommend you to get it! As for myself, I cannot wait to get my hands on the third season!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink