on 4 February 2009
After reading a number of various reviews for potential remotes for my Canon 450d I elected to go for this product. After having read reviews for the RC-1 unit I opted for this remote because of it's additional functionality; although I was a bit wary as there had been no previous user reviews. So far (admittedly it's only been 30 minutes) I've tried all the settings and am pleased to write that it all works!

So far I've been able to test that the remote works from different rooms (through floors and walls) without issue. I don't forsee any distance and positioning limitations that the RC-1 has - although admittedly I've yet to try this from anywhere outside the house. As promised the remote works with the 450d's bulb mode. This is activated by putting the camera in bulb mode and holding down the remotes button for 3 seconds then releasing it, and pressing again when you want to complete taking the photo. Continuous shooting also works. One of the added benefits is that this remote also allows the camera to focus before any photo is taken.

A nice added feature is that the receiver has a plastic bit that fits into the camera's flash holder, in this way the remote can be temporarily attached to the camera so it is not hanging freely. Although this same plastic bit does make it a little awkward to remove the battery cover on the receiver- but that's just being picky. The only issue I've experienced so far is that the various switches that allow you to change between the 16 channels are quite small. Having large hands I will have to use something to switch these over (if ever required). The build is not the greatest but sturdy enough.

I'll try and update this review after using the remote in anger -but for now it seems to have been a good purchase (with both batteries included). Not bad for the price.

3rd April Update: After reading Graham White's review I should point out that the model I have seems to be different than the current picture. The receiver I had was square and the transmitter was rectangular. The current picture has a rectangular receiver - hence no flashholder I assume. PS - the remote is still going strong.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.