on January 28, 2008
I originally read this book in hardback when it was first published - borrowed from the Library - sorry Amazon!. So when I ordered the second of the series recently, I also got a pb copy of WWD to refresh myself on the story - and of the two, WWD is still my favourite "adult fairy tale".
Maybe it may take more than one reading for an older-adult to really appreciate the beauty of the story - for I must admit I baulked a little originally, at the idea of the heroine (Jena) carrying a frog companion about on her shoulder - and allowing him to sleep on her pillow ... Eek! Still, this is a fairy tale and allowances must be made. Of course Gogu (the frog) is not all he seems, and neither is the supposed "evil" character of the Witch of the Woods. "Good and evil" actually work together for the best result for the whole, here, (as they do in everyday life - nothing being so black or white as it appears) and it's a fascinating tale of realisation, acceptance, and growth of the young "cast" - with a happy (or at least acceptable) ending for all.

Originally I only read this book as it was another of J.M.'s - of whom I'm a growing fan - but I'm glad I did. All her work contains elements of the "magical" running through it, her Sevenwaters trilogy being a huge favourite of mine - no J.M. fan can be totally closed to a bit of fantasy in their reading. So go ahead - bring the magic of the Nature world into your life. I bet you'll find you quietly enjoy it.
What's this?