on April 12, 2012
First impressions when you see the watch in the flesh are very good.

It has a good weight to it, and the face and bezel are large. It looks like quality.

The body is deeper than most watches which gives it a serious diver look. The back is very solid with a deep engraving of a breaking wave.

The red on the crown is nowhere near as in your face as the pictures, it tends to sit in the shadow of the watch so not that noticable.. which I'm glad about, I was a bit nervous it would look crass.

The strap is good quality with brushed outer and raised very shiny middle links. (This will make it easy to polish the center links in future in you wish, without polishing the brushed sides). The links are solid metal which I'm very pleased about. Just the end links are folded steel.

Bezel is a matt black. I have read that it is 'ion coated' and that this is a pretty tough finish. Time will tell. Bezel movement is good.

Diver extension took me ages to figure out, it's not shown how to do it in the manual. You actually just put your finger under and lift.
Putting diver extension back took me ages. When you get it right it takes no force, but intuitively you think you need to push it down. You don't you have to lift it up and hook it over the bar.

The only thing I'm not used to is the static second hand. The actual second hand is a small one on the dial, what you think is the second hand is actually for the chronometer. I keep looking at the watch and thinking it's stopped. But I'll get used to it. In reality I didn't really want the chronometer function, but like the look otherwise. Possibly the two chronometer buttons are a bit bigger than I'd like.

The stopwatch has a small hand for counting up to 60mins, then it stops. The second hand moves in 1/5 second increments which looks neat.

The 24 hour hand is a gimmick really, it can't be set independently for other time zones... I can't think of an occasion when I don't know if it's morning or night. But it balances up the dial nicely. The watch to me looks like a hybrid of a Rolex Submariner, Deepsea and Daytona. I'm sure you will get people taking a second look when they spot it on your wrist, it does look impressive.

The lume is extremely good. For long lasting lume give it 10 mins near a light.

I got this watch to replace an old Seiko kinetic. As I've got older I've collected more watches and the kinetics don't like this - kinetics need to be worn every day or the capacitors go bad.

This is solar so can sit happily on daylight without having to be worn. Should never need a battery change (OK maybe in 20 years).

The only thing I am nervous about is that the glass is mineral and not sapphire like the old kinetic. I might even get sapphire glass fitted if it gets scratched.

Great watch!
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?