VINE VOICEon 26 June 2013
I really love Miranda Hart. She's made the art of being spontaneously fun cool again with her excellent BBC sitcom set in a joke shop and so I was very much looking forward to reading her book. Unlike most celebrity autobiographies, this isn't her life story from beginning to end. It's a bit more clever than that.

Her 'Miranual' (*sideways glance to camera* good word that. MIRANUAL.) on how to tackle the things that come without a life manual - flirting, engaging in intellectual dinner party conversation, reaffirming your love of Take That and Strictly Come Dancing - are all covered in this book in a funny, even quite touching way as she addresses the 18 year old, hockey sticks a-go-go boarding school version of herself.

Not only did I find myself laughing out loud just as much as I do at her sitcom, but I realised how much I actually identified with the situations she's found herself in. And dare I say it I even had a little cry on the last chapter (you'll know why when you get to it because it's really so beautifully written and so true).

Whilst sophisticated silliness is Miranda's ball court, when she does address you on a more 'serious' level as it were you find yourself being unexpectedly moved by what she says. We could all seek to live a little bit more and have a little bit more fun in the formal straitjacket that is adult life. Which is precisely what 'Is it Just Me?' gives you - and more.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink