on 6 May 2006
After reading some of the other reviews of this film on this site, I felt compelled to write my own review. Sure, everyone has their own tastes but, in my opinion, it is ridiculous to award this film 1 star. Sure, feel good chick flicks may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there is a lot more to this film than that and I say that as a 29 year old male.

I have watched this film 5 times. I hired it from my local video store on 2 occasions and watched it twice, both times. I really can't recommend this film enough. To criticise this film for being shallow, or unemotional or too long, I think you either have to be a psychopath, devoid of all human emotion, or a bitter resentful female, who is just jealous of Cameron Diaz and her beauty!!!

Perhaps I love this film for personal reasons, but the issues it deals with, loss, insecurity, redemption, forgiveness as well as mental health and literacy are all dealt with a great deal of tact and the film never comes across as cheesy. Even the bit where Diaz reads the poem is well done and the poetry featured in the film is really beautiful too.

All 3 of the main characters are acted out with a great deal of emotion without anyone milking it in situations where that could so easily have been the case.

I will probably end up watching this film another 50 or 60 times. The last film that made me do that was American Beauty and there are certain similarities between the 2 films in my opinion. The humour in "In her Shoes" is subtle and the way that the film alternates from really funny scenes straight to very emotional scenes (ie Collette and Diaz talikng about their mothers death) is done in a way that allows the film to flow in a very inteligent way. I've cried every single time I've watched this film.

Don't be persuaded by the negative reviews of this film. As I say, everyone has their own preferances but it does seem a bit odd that someone should mark this film so lowly when it got great reviews from Empire and Heat.
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?