on 7 March 2014
I was really gutted when I heard about the troubles that Bigelf were having as they had become one of my favourite bands, I saw them many years ago at the Barfly in Camden and they were absolutely awesome, worthy of a far bigger venue more befitting a band of their calibre and talent. So when I heard they were releasing a new album I was absolutely over the moon and couldn't wait to hear it.

I don't agree with the previous reviewer regarding Cheat The Gallows, I thought it was an amazing album and don't really understand what he is referring to in terms of the production on that album as I thought it was fine. Personally Hex is my favourite album, very closely followed by Cheat The Gallows, this album, Closer to Doom and Money Machine (in that order).

The reason I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Hex and Cheat The Gallows for me is down to the lack of a proper guitarist. Guitar parts on this album are undertaken by Damon Fox himself with occasional input from additional guitarist Luis Maldonado and whilst both are competent, neither of them are Ace Mark. His guitar playing on the previous albums are what gave many of the tracks on both Hex and Cheat The Gallows that extra bit of genius, I really loved his playing style, a kind of mix of Tony Iommi, David Gilmour and Brian May and I think his presence is missed on this album; I find it gets to the bit of the song where you would normally have a really cool, measured solo that perfectly fits the song, such as the solo on "The Evils of Rock & Roll" off the Cheat The Gallows album and it isn't quite there which I find a bit frustrating as I just think to myself "damn that would have been such an awesome song if it had an Ace Mark guitar solo on it!".

That being said there are some really cool songs on here and I really like this album (took me a few spins but now can't get Incredible Time Machine, Control Freak, Hypersleep [damn evil sounding riff - like Black Sabbath does Hawkwind], Mr Harry McQuhae and Alien Frequency out of my head), but for me it's just slightly behind Hex and Cheat The Gallows because of the above gripe. I hope Damon Fox gets a full time guitar player on board for the next album as he clearly still has the magic that made Hex and Cheat The Gallows so great.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?