on May 31, 2007
If you know who Arch Enemy are you'll have a very polarised, almost Marmite like, opinion of them. If you don't know them they're a mixed origin "Melodic-Doom-Metal" band (Michael Amott's creation, not mine) They're heavier than pretty much all popular metal.

There are faster metal bands about (not many though) but that's not always the point. Sometimes its the changes in speed which have the effect rather than all-out-face-blasting-double-pedalling-brute-madness.

Personally I love this album. In the past, when thee mood has overtaken me, I've always wanted to listen to something that was face-stampingly heavy but melodic and have never owned anything to appease myself.

Now I do own just such a thing (plurally, see below).

My favourites on this album are "Leader of The Rats" which has an excellent head-banger of an intro/verse and "End of The Line" which has rare reverb-laden male backing and really completes an awesome, angry classic of a song. "We Will Rise" is also an excellent example of what these guys are about.

I bought this album at the same time as "Doomsday Machine", Arch Enemy's most recent album. I'm glad I did. I now remember how metal should be: angry enough to make you want to eat babies!
What's this?