on 14 October 2012
A new job meant that I was allowed to treat myself to a new cookery book. I made a great choice!
Madhur Jaffrey has been the face of Indian food for thirty years. Her latest book is different in that she mainly presents recipes from home cooks and restaurant chefs from around Britain. This is a great idea.
Suniya Quoreshi's Chili Mutton Chops (Chili champ)are spicy and moreish. Remeber to marinate them the night before and they are perfect to pop straight in the oven after work. Saleem Zahid gives us Lamb with Beetroot (Chukander Gosht)which is gorgeously red and tasty.
Vegetarians are not left out. I am inspired by Bimal Parmar's Kale cooked in an East African style, a completely new idea for me. Potatoes with Fresh Fenugreek (Butteta ne Methi)from the Gujarati Rasoi stall at Broadway Market is delicious.
There are useful chapters on spice mixes, dals, breads and relishes. I like the photos of vibrant Indian textiles marking each new chapter.
My cookery challenge for this week is to make an entire meal from the book. I am thinking of Onion Bhajias and Tamarind Chutney to start followed by Madhur Jaffrey's own recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala with a Black Dal and some home made Chapatis. Whilst I have always looked snobbishly down on Chicken Tikka Masala as something only my daughter would eat, the photo looks so mouthwatering that I am completely won over.
This is a book which is definitely going to provide many happy days in the kitchen.
11 Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details