on 24 January 2011
Having thought I had plantar fasciitis (my doctor agreed) I bought the night splint to see if I could get any kind of relief. Unfortunately for me it didnt provide any. I believe this to be, pending a visit to an actual podiatrist (appointment is taking forever), I have achilles tendonitis. Maybe I have both I dont know...a 2nd doctor seemed to think it may be the achilles tendon as opposed to plantar.

I bought a McDavid Achilles tendon strap and it arrived today. I have it on at work and it seems to be helping a fair bit.

This isn't a negative review of the night splint as I am sure it may help those of you with plantar fasciitis. If like me you are seeking relief desperately and not getting a great deal of support from your GPs it might be worth having a look at the achilles strap instead and working out what you have with a little more investigation. The standard advice is always to consult a GP but, to be honest, when it comes to biomechanical issues they seem to be out of their depth and, with me at least, certain doctors seemed reluctant to take it seriously. Indeed - advice from one was to take painkillers and 'get on with it' which is what I have been doing for years. Thanks for the help...not. If you do see a GP and you feel you are being short-changed just insist on seeing a specialist. The appointment will take months but dont let them fob you off.

Wearing the night splint itself wasn't the most comfortable experience but I dont think there is any way to avoid this really. Its as comfy as it's going to get wearing a foamy ski boot to bed. Needs must however....and in fairness, its a good product which feels sturdy strapped up.

Good luck fellow sufferers!
9 people found this helpful