on 7 March 2011
I have read young adult fiction that has more depth than this. I bought the first book, and the first half was good. The second half (of Storm Glass) was awful, like the author couldn't figure out how to end the story, and just wanted to fill more and more pages so the book would be longer. This problem continues in Sea Glass. I could barely get through the first couple chapters, skimming and groaning at the monotony and predictability.

My main gripe is that the author spoils her own plot quite often. For instance, a character is taken captive by another character, after a fight. The captor is narrarating, and in the narraration (speaking to the reader) she says somethig like "If only I had known that in a few hours, we would be in exact opposite positions". GREAT, thanks a lot... now I know what's going to happen! And yet I have to sit through another chapter of her laying out the action, all the while knowing how it's going to end, having the suspense totally spoiled. I'm sorry, but this author needs a new editor, and fast. Not since I was 12 have I read a book that did something like that. What's the point? Maybe I should just read the book backwards, is that it?

Also, as in Storm Glass, the author keeps spending loads of time having her characters alluding to events that happened in her 'Study' series, so basically she is spoiling that entire series for anyone who hasn't yet read them (myself). Yes, the first series was successful... but the author is trying to scrape by with a new series, while the characters in the 'new' series just rehash events in the old one.

Shoddy writing, empty characters, recycled plot from the first book. Need I say more? 2 stars only because a preteen might enjoy this book. I WAS going to read the Study series eventually, but seeing as the author spoiled that for me also, I won't. Ugh.
What's this?