Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

11 January 2011
I bought this condenser to replace the dynamic mic I've been using in my home studio. I've tried a couple of other condensers, most notably the Rode NT-1a, so I knew it would be a much better choice for recording vocals than the Sennheiser dynamic but I wasn't quite prepared for how wonderful this mic would sound. I had seen some reviews of the older model, the STC-2, that sells for about 160 GBP and they had all said it's as good as mics costing three times the price but they often say stuff like this, don't they? Well, this STC-2X is an absolute wonder, particularly for vox. It is lovely and warm without being at all muddy, and adds weight to the recorded vocal that I have previously spent so much time trying to manufacture in Cubase. Much better than the Rode, to my untutored ear, because it delivers exactly what I've been wanting. It's upgraded from the STC-2 in that it has a choice of cardioid and omni. It also has two stage pad -20dB and -10dB and two stage LF cut off, 75hz and 150hz.
It comes with a really substantial shockmount and a lovely aluminium case, but no XLR cable. The mic and mount are properly heavy so make sure you've got a sturdy stand! One last thing, it looks SO cool hanging upside down from the mouont, very pro!
2 people found this helpful