VINE VOICEon 22 May 2014
I first discovered Seanan McGuire through her pseudonym Mira Grant. I enjoyed her "Newsflesh" characters so much that I wanted to give October (Toby) Daye a chance. Here I am seven novels later still reading about the adventures of changeling / knight / hero / granddaughter of Oberon: Toby Daye.

Why is it I like the October Daye series so much? My main reason has to do with the development of Toby’s character. Growth (whether for light or dark) in a character is what keeps me reading certain authors. If that development stops I move on. Thus far, I have had every reason to remain with October Daye and her faery world.

By now there have been so many losses and changes in Toby’s life that it is a wonder she is still up and about. McGuire has not given Toby the easiest life to live. Simple lives can be fun to read about but in the long run complexity is so much more fun. McGuire doesn’t slow down Toby’s challenges in "Chimes at Midnight".

Once again, Toby discovers that just because something is bad for the changelings and for humans does not mean that the pure-bloods care. Some do, but faery who care about the lives of changelings and humans are definitely in the minority. So it has been throughout history. Many are the tales of faery interacting with people with devastating results for the person. Perhaps being immortal has something to do with that. At least that is an excuse we hear in "Chimes at Midnight".

There is romance going on between Toby and Tybalt, but romance is not a major part of "Chimes at Midnight". Action is. As with the other Daye novels, McGuire keeps her novels free from explicitness.

I liked "Chimes at Midnight". When "The Winter Long" comes out I am going to buy it.

[...]