4.0 out of 5 stars Great convertible, 24 April 2014
This review is from: HP Pavilion 11-h000sa x2 11.6 inch Tablet PC with Keyboard (Intel Celeron N2910 1.6GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics, Integrated Webcam, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
I was looking for a tablet or notebook that I could use for work and my kids could use for study. This really limited the options to either a Windows or Mac based item. Why ? Well because although Android has got a load of apps, my work stuff invariably uses Microsoft Office and although there are open source apps that are similar, there are always issues with compatibility. So it was either look at an iPad or Macbook or check out what was avaliable on Windows. Apple got dumped on price and expandability grounds. iPads are cute, but when you hit 64Gb you have to either offload to an external drive or buy another iPad. Macbooks are too pricey.

So a windows machine it was going to be. Next question, RT or full fat 8. The limitations of RT meant I was looking for a bit of kit running full Windows 8. That narrowed down the field considerably. Add on that I wanted a tablet capability and the list got very small indeed. Enter the HP Pavilion 11 x2. Sizewise it's a shade larger than an iPad, but has a detachable keyboard. Best bits. It looks businesslike. I've got it sitting next to my work supplied Lenovo T420s laptop. It's dinky, but the keyboard is a decent size. Screen is bright and clear. Touchscreen is fab. Came with Office 2013 preloaded and only required an activation key. I can run all my current work apps on it.
Other nice bits. It powers up so fast. I can be up and running in about 10seconds from hitting the power button. SSDs are wonderful. Battery life is impressive. I get a good 8hrs when attached to the keyboard and at least 4hrs on a fresh charge on just the tablet bit. Oh and that's the other neat bit. Removing the screen in a meeting to use it as a tablet caused a few jaws to drop.

Minor grumbles - available disk space. The HP Pavilion 11 ships in the UK with only a 64Gb hard disk, although I believe that the US market has the option of a 128Gb hard disk. That means that after Windows has gobbled up space for the OS, I get around 12Gb to play with. Solution - get an SD card. The detachable screen can take a microSD card so for around £50 you can add a further 64Gb of disk space. The keyboard can take a standard SD card so in theory, provided you have the bank balance, you can add up to 2Tb of space. Next grumble, OK so the black shell is nice, but it is plastic. OK so my laptop is also plastic, but the HP Pavilion would look so great if milled from aluminium. The HP Elitepad is and it looks darn good. I guess its a price trade off.

Overall, with 4Gb memory and a quad core 1.6Ghz processor the beast performs well. The two USB ports are a bonus as is the HDMI one. Is it better than an iPad ? by a country mile. It gives me everything I need for work in a much reduced footprint. Outside of work, I am a keen photographer. I can take my shots, drop them straight into an editting package like Photoshop on my Pavilion 11, tweak them and then connect to the internet using my mobile as a wireless hotspot and publish within minutes of finishing the shoot.
Alternatives considered - Asus Transformer T100TA - smaller memory (2Gb) although possible to get larger hard drive. Sony Vaio - more space, but a shed load more expensive. For under £400 the Pavilion 11 is a hard act to beat.

[Add comment]