4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised after reading bad reviews, 7 April 2014
This review is from: TOMTOM GO 400 EU (Electronics)
My old TomTom Go Live 1000 with Live Traffic was stolen from my car a few weeks ago. I resorted to using my cars built in navigation system but didn't get on with it at all. What I missed the most was the Live Traffic updates. Living in London, I find these absolutely essential and my old TomTom always gave me an exceptionally accurate ETA.

So I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a new TomTom GO 400 Europe.

The Device
My TomTom arrived complete with car charger, cradle and integrated mount. I was surprised to see the mount is actually attached to the device and was initially pleased, as a separate mount is one less thing to have to cart in and out the car. However, the mount is now my one big gripe with the device (see below).
The map and software took a couple of hours to download onto my device then I was ready to go. First of all, I am so impressed with the touchscreen compared to my old TomTom. It is very sensitive and no longer do I have to stab the screen vigorously to get my TomTom to do anything! It is also completely stripped back. My old GO LIVE 1000 had so many different menus, half of which I never used. There are a lot of reviews on here complaining about this new stripped back look, and it nearly put me off buying, but I much prefer it. Everything is more easily accessible now. All the important features, such as being able to avoid roadblocks, motorways and toll roads, are there.
The map looks very different to my old TomTom, and takes some getting used to, but I like it and find it much clearer.

3D Buildings
In short, don't buy the device because you think this feature looks cool. I live in London and only the biggest landmarks are 3D like this. Hopefully one day this will improve but for now disregard this as a feature.

Mounting
This is my one issue with this device. I find it really difficult to mount it to my windscreen. I'm quite small and my car is quite big so its a big stretch and very fiddly to try and position the mount low down on my windscreen and twist to get it to stick. It was so easy with my old TomTom to just whack it in the magnetic mount so this new mount is a disappointment. As a result, I have just ordered the adhesive dashboard mount kit, costing me £14.99, which is a little bit frustrating after spending so much already on the device itself. I also fear that this mount will be permanently visible and tempting to thieves, who already smashed my window in once because they saw a satnav ring. I have invested in a car sticker stating that no valuables are left in my car when unattended, and hope this will be enough of a deterrent.

Live Traffic
The promise of free live traffic updates and maps for the lifetime of the device seemed like a good deal. I am very happy with the service so far.
Please note that you need a smartphone with a data plan and tethering capability in order to take advantage of the live traffic. They don't make this clear in their marketing material! This isn't really a problem though. You just have to link the devices once, and then they'll remember each other in the future, and remember to turn your personal hotspot on on your phone when you get in the car. TomTom estimates that on average, Live Traffic will use about 7mb of data per month if you drive for 1 hour per day at rush hour.

I recommend the TomTom hard case to keep the satnav in. The cable and charger also fit in snuggly and the case looks nice. Don't ever leave the satnav in your car glovebox! You think it won't happen to you then one day someone comes along and won't hesitate to smash your window through, so be warned.

In short, I am very pleased with my satnav and I would urge caution when reading old reviews. It seems that they have had a few good software updates since some of the reviews on here were written and a lot of the issues reviewers mention are no longer issues. I'm glad I wasn't put off.

[Add comment]