on 3 September 2009
So in love with them am I, that I find I am simply unable to stop reading. During breakfast (made, lamentably, not by a valet, but my myself) more often than not I am to be found huddled over cereal and toast, nose in the pages; not even walking up and down stairs prevents me from reading. I fancy it now takes rather a long time to traverse them lest I fall flat on my face. I shouldn't mind my face so much as the idea of damaging the book.

Jeeves and Wooster, in a word (or two), are mind-bendingly wonderful. Breath-takingly unique... Absolutely topping. Old Wooster's a rummy sort of chap - has a heart of gold, says Jeeves. Jeeves is a marvel and a miracle and Bertie would be lost without him, old thing.

Modern speech lacks the joy, spirit and beauty of Wodehouse's prose. I toyed with the idea of writing this entire review in Wodehousese, but in no way could I do it justice. However, by the time you're one short story in, you'll find yourself *thinking* in the way they speak, and having to make do with the way we communicate now is a dreadful, dreadful disappointment.

But, even more than that, Wodehouse has created a world that is much, much nicer than ours. My Man Jeeves contains 8 short stories (and I hasten to add, am not generally a fan of short stories... but then Wodehouse isn't your average story-teller) only 4 of which are about Jeeves and Wooster. The other 4 are about Reggie Pepper who was the precursor to Bertie. Jeeves's absence is certainly conspicuous but, as it turns out, it just makes you appreciate the duo all the more.

If you're new to Jeeves and Wooster (oh, if you're new to them, how I envy you!), this is the place to start. And the Bed Book version is absolutely glorious! If you like lying down (aye, well, s'alright) this is best invention since knees that bend. The only difference from normal books being the text is printed sideways. It sounds distinctly underwhelming, like it shouldn't make any difference... but it truly does. And it means you can wile away your witching hour with these spiffing gentlemen, which is surely the blessiest of blessings.

So with all that in mind, there are really only 2 questions: 1) What incentive (and by incentive, I mean shameless bribe) can I offer you to befriend these 2 and join me in starting a language revolution? And, 2) Wodehouse is no longer with us, meaning once all Jeeves and Wooster stories are read, that's it, and the point is - the nub of the thing is - what is to be done about it?
23 people found this helpful