on 4 December 2013
I really loved this game, it's the first game I got for my Xbox one...Okay, that's a lie, it came with Forza, but I haven't played that yet.

Anyway, the story mode on this game is amazing, the graphics are absolutely stunning, it's a bit too easy if I'm honest though, I played my first playthrough on Centurion difficulty (the hardest setting before unlocking legendary) I then did the second on legendary, and while some of the boss fights were quite a bit harder, they really weren't too frustrating. The game IS very short, I did both playthroughs in three days, and had a bash on multiplayer too, the multiplayer so far has been enjoyable, you fight waves of enemies off while trying to do tasks at the same time, you can upgrade your character and stuff, it was fun, but I really enjoyed the campaign more.

Okay so the story isn't really that unique, it's kind of a mish mash of a few well known stories. What I thought was funny was the way all the British soldiers in it have quite heavy northern accents (Yorkshire/Cumbria) and then the Romans, for some reason, have southern English accents (upper class London). I understand we don't want them speaking Latin with subtitles, but I just thought the accent differentiating the two groups was funny. There's some really good voice acting in it, and the facial expressions and movements are remarkable, even when not in cut-scenes like when I cut some guys arm off (a lot of arms get cut off in it) he was rolling around on the ground screaming, and his face looked hilarious, like he was really screaming (I'm a bitch, I know).

The combat is amazing, it is repetitive, but it's fun enough to not be a problem. It's a "block, hit, hit, hit, block, parry, hit - Hit button for finishing move - do finishing move sequence" deal, but the graphics make it so enjoyable. It's very violent, but I like that lol, and when you get the hang of it, it pays off. Run into a big crowd of six crazy guys with machetes and giant hammers and start hacking limbs off "BOOM" - knock him back with a shield, HACK SLASH BLOCK PARRY then EXECUTION TIME - KNEE HIM IN THE STOMACH, SMACK HIM IN THE FACE WITH THE SHIELD, CHOP HIS ARM OFF, SLASH HIS THROAT, THEN STOMP ON HIS HEAD WHEN HE FALLS - - What's not to like about that? It's also a reason I'm grateful the game isn't overly long, those two playthroughs were enough to make me feel like I got my moneys worth, and now I'll be moving on... I'll probably go back and playthrough again just to try for some of the achievements I missed, but not right now.

If you want a game that will last you tens of hours, this isn't for you, and if you're worried about not getting your moneys worth, I can totally understand that, and would recommend getting it when the price drops. But if you were thinking of getting it, knowing how long it is, and what it's like, and think it sounds like something you're after, I say get it, I don't have a complaint with it.
77 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details