on 1 February 2003
I was forced into buying Windows XP after finding out my new laptop's display is only supported under XP, not Windows 2000 as I had originally hoped. I've always been a bit anti-Microsoft ever since anyone had heard of them, so this product was going to have to work very hard indeed to impress me. It has. Startup and shutdown times seem faster than any previous version of Windows, and system stability seems good too. (I've only had it a week though)
Perhaps it's the little touches which add most of the class; frequently used programs appear more prominently in the Start Menu, and My Network Places is automatically populated with all network shares in a certain hopcount radius. Folders with 'media' or 'pictures' in their name use a new display style by default. The OS has a 'restore point' facility, where you can manually tell it when you're hapy with the system (ie before adding new drivers or hardware) so that subsequent changes can be rolled back to that point should the worst happen, while leaving data files created in that time intact. Overall a worthy replacement for Windows 2000, if you ignore the anti-piracy measures. Some people would say that these would be unnecessary if a reasonable price were charged for the software in the first place, in my opinion the price is nothing short of ridiculous. If my new laptop would have worked with Windows 2000 then I'd never have bothered with XP, but if XP were half the price I'd already be using it on all my machines. Are you listening Bill?
25 people found this helpful