on 25 May 2010
First - My thanks to the young friend who suggested I search Amazon for a copy of this film - I would never have thought of doing so!

Can't put a date on when I saw Woman of the Dunes but it was L-O-N-G ago, on TV, late one night and (to the best of my knowledge) has never been repeated.
Nonetheless, it has stayed with me ever since because I have never seen a better example of a simple tale, simply told. Other reviewers see other things but to me the allegory is obvious. Think of the villagers as Society and how they crush the Student's dreams and ambitions, giving him nothing more than female company in exchange. How many of us wanted to do something big, important, creative and/or helpful to others, only to put it aside for domesticity...then ask, did we decide to put it aside - or were we pressured?
What's this?