on 22 November 2012
Well about time too! I thought that a definitive boxed set of 10cc was never going to happen and that we were just going to have to make do with endless compilations of varying quality with only subtle changes in the track listing for variety. Good news indeed then that this box set nicely rounds up the singles, selected album tracks and b-sides/rarities over four discs and a DVD of TV performances and promo videos as well. The overall quality of the box itself is top notch and comes complete with a very nice quality 100 page hardback book. The five colour postcards are ok but not necessarily the images I would have chosen but hey, I'm no Storm Thorgeson! My only (slight) gripe is that the discs themselves come in flimsy card sleeves which does let things down slightly on the overall quality of the box set itself. Good to see the aforementioned Mr Thorgeson has been employed to look after the artwork and visual theme which I always felt (as part of Hipgnosis) was an integral part of 10cc's albums.
As for the music - well you know that needs no further introduction otherwise you wouldn't be reading this! Suffice to say that I haven't noticed any glaring ommisions from the track listing and each of the discs are mastered well and not harsh or too loud (for those of you worried about these things!). A great set then and as this is supposedly a limited edition, don't leave it too late and then realise that you have to pay stupid prices to get it in 12 months from now (like I have done with The Who's Live At Leeds and U2's Achtung Baby box sets!!). In 10cc's own words, you've got to get it while you can! Enjoy.
17 people found this helpful