on 6 November 2013
I decided to upgrade my reliable and lovable 5850 ATI card and for the first time in eons I went for an NVidia card, and WOW I am so pleased I did. My 5850 cost me £300 when I bought it but I didn't want to break the bank this time as I'm getting the Next Gen consoles for Christmas and I *thought* PC gaming would take a back seat for a while, WELL IT AIN'T!!!! I get to play the brilliant Splinter Cell : Blacklist on this baby at ULTRA settings, I'm starting to think I have a *magic* version of the card but it ain't, it's simply a brilliant product.

The cooling system is amazing on this Gigabyte version and is very overclock friendly, if you want some extra oomp, I haven't overclocked mine as I want the extra longevity of the card as I think overclocking wears the card out faster, BUT I could be wrong and slightly paranoid in my old age!

The rest of my system, apart from my new power supply was bought in January 2010, it's an I7 920 running at its clock speed of 2.66 Ghz, I ain't never had the guts to overclock that, or have felt I need to.

I have 6GB of triple channel OCZ 1333 RAM, which I really should overclock to 1600ghz, but again I never really needed to.

Don't get caught in the web of spending £400 on these uber 780 gtx's etc. as this £141 card is really a technical marvel and is way underpriced in my opinion.

If you have 2x 16bit PCI-E slots you can always add another one of these card and have an SLI setup, but I recommend at least a 650W PSU for that configuration. 550W is all you need for one of these beauties, maybe 450 would do! Electricity bill will be down a little!

Some games I play:
Skyrim: Everything maxed out and looks beatiful
Metro: Last Light: High, and looks amazing
Battlefield 4: At least high, and actually looks next generation! Amazing...
Dark Souls: Maxed and amazing, my 5850 struggled with this abit, this beauty chews it up
and Splinter Cell Black list as I mentioned.

Again, do not get caught up in the *hype* of having an uber card, get this and leave the option open to getting a second one if needed at a later date, this line should be available for about 10months, Gigabyte is a big company so these cards won't disappear.

I hope this review clarifies a few things, and saves you money that you really don't need to spend *I'm looking at you Radeon 290X and Nvidia 780GTX"

Peace.

P.S. Amazon are an amazing company, customer service is second to none, you can't go wrong when buying from them.

EDIT: Don't get drawn in to the TrueHD sound that AMD advertise. I have this card running through my Onkyo AV Receiver and it might as well be labelled as TrueHD, it is brilliant.

Finally, and VERY IMORTANT, if you wish to install two of these in an SLi config, you don't get the little connector ribbon you need to connect 2 cards within the card package. You should of got one with your motherboard though, if not you can get them for about a tenner.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?