on 14 December 2012
We all know the story of Saint Joan. Joan a young French country girl finds herself caught up in a France versus England political struggle. She has nothing to recommend her for the task, but Shaw portrays her there among her comrades as fearless, confident, inspired. And she is And like so many visionaries down the centuries she pays the supreme price.
What I love more than the text, and I love the text - brisk, upbeat, re-captuing the various personalities so accurately - what I love more is Shaw's Preface. Yes, it is long, many paragraphs, and I suppose out of proportion to the length of the text of the play but it contains so much wisdom. I'll take one example. He speaks of the VISIONARY and sees the visionary as one who sees further, probes deeper and who DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Oh yes, we all dream dreams, I can come up with solutions to several of the world's problems, but I am not prepared to put my life on the line. This is only one example but so relevant in today's world of self-glorification.
The PLAY presents a delightful Jaon, the Preface invites us to ponder her story.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.