1.0 out of 5 stars Origin.., 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Battlefield 3 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Honestly EA, what are you up to now? Why do you continue to give me reasons to not buy the games you publish? I could put up with the shabby customer support but

Don't get me wrong, the developers at DICE have made a very good game, an amazing game but one the PC version you must install EA's 'Origin' client described by EA 'Origin is where you go to find the best that EA has to offer. The hottest games. Exclusive content. Early access. And more.' That 'And more.' part must mean where they have access to all your personal data. Yes you read that correctly, YOUR personal data, you didn't read the End User License Agreement? Well in-case you hadn't it clearly states:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services" Then goes on to say "EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

This is a disgrace! Why do they need access to such information? I don't know about you but i don't want this game that badly. Sorry EA, you just lost yourself a customer, cancelled all my pre-orders published by you because it seems my money on its own is no longer good enough that you have had to sink to selling my personal information.

Sayonara EA!

TL;DR

EA can transmit your personal data and pass it on to third-party services. There's no way to opt out of this 'feature' that 'betters' your gaming experience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2011 05:02:05 BDT
John Doe says:

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2011 15:56:48 BDT
Mr. Neill says:
Very true John, but the fact that annoys me is this is a Games Publisher and it seems my money is no longer enough for them now they have to sell information about my system and my usage habits. I wrote this review to inform, i personally don't like anyone snooping around my system and just wanted to bring light to the fact that EA do that very thing.

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 20:19:10 GMT
M. J. Carter says:
having read this review there is no way I will be buying this game

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2011 17:42:37 GMT
R. Peters says:
Ditto!

Posted on 3 Nov 2011 11:01:02 GMT
Dean Kellham says:
Cheers for pointing this out. I will NOT be buying this game due to this. EA have absolutely no reason to collect and SHARE this data; blatantly using it for targeted marketing. I miss the days when companies were discrete in their targeting and market research- now they just insist that if you want to play their game you have to share all your information with them; including usage habits of everything on your machine; oh and you still have to pay top price for this "privilege".

Posted on 3 Nov 2011 16:41:31 GMT
AngryBadger says:
James - I'm not condoning EA's use of Origin and don't know a great deal about it. However, the sections of the T&Cs you put in your post seem to show that they're collecting information for their own use which would identify certain personal data of yours BUT if they passed it on to 3rd parties it would no longer identify you:

"We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

Whether you're happy for EA to collect the data in the first place is one question, and I agree that the harvesting of personal data is a fairly sensitive issue, but your closings statement of "EA can transmit your personal data and pass it on to third-party services" seems to me to be incorrect.

Regards,
Steve

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2011 17:16:47 GMT
ry19 says:
Steve - the sharing of data may not personally identify the user, but surely the point is more that EA take the right to pass details of the user's PC to a third party, along with details of software etc used on that PC? A third party wouldn't care what the owner's name was, provided they could see such detail as browsing history, software installed, etc, and target marketing material when that PC's internet protocol address is recognised as accessing a given website. Fair play that you signed your comment "Steve", but I'll bet your surname isn't "AngryBadger" (but if it is, well done, love it).

Posted on 4 Nov 2011 06:27:37 GMT
CM Anderson says:
A good review James and very well put. Confirmed my suspicions, the DRM is particularly invasive. It appears to be telling you that it's basically a data miner. A worm. Today it's just anonymous reports to a "3rd party", but how long before this type of software capability is abused by someone or some organisation. I'll speak with my cash.

I use a firewall. I wouldn't hand even my system specs to an anonymous 3rd party, who do they think they are?

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 18:34:55 GMT
Mr. Leung says:
Reading this review, I realised that this was not a review about the game at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 18:45:40 GMT
Mr. Neill says:
Yes, that's true Mr. Leung but it is about the service that you are forced to use just to play the game and I think that is justifiable cause for my review being the way it is. If you were able to choose another service, or better again simply not have to use one then I could see light in your argument, but you can't.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›