on 9 March 2010
I bought this book having watched the film 'Julie and Julia' and loved the main characters. Amy Adams as Julie Powell was so sweet and I empathised with what she was doing in the film. The real Julie Powell though, the lady who has written this book, scares me. There is no element of sweetness about her. She doesn't focus on much of the cooking and to my horror, she is bad at it. There was something about the determination of the film Julie to keep on going and work through every recipe to detail, the book Julie gives up, substitutes ingredients and makes things very very badly. I continued to read this book to the end, hoping with each page that it would get better but for me, it didn't. I ended up getting annoyed by the writer and her self indulgent prattle, how she descibes reading the Joy of Sex as a child and compares it to MtAoFC, no way - that is just weird. She swears a lot which I don't mind except that I think it's just a lack of imagination in what to say. Overall, I felt like this book shattered my illusion of these 2 women that the film portrays. As soon as I'd seen it I came on amazon to get the book as I wanted to continue the good feelings the film gave me. My advice would be, watch the film and leave it at that. Amy Adams is lovely as Julie Powell, Meryl Streep awesome as Julia Child but the real people will grate and disappoint. Such a shame as books are normally better than the film but in this case not. I can understand now how Julia Child wanted nothing to do with Julie Powell, who would?
66 Comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details