on 11 November 2010
Very excited to upgrade from FTM 2005 to 2011, however somewhat disappointed with the product. First of all the appearance, although a contemporary look, is much more difficult to navigate compared to 2005. Family members appear as just another data field rather than the unique page per person in 2005 and when you select individual it squeezes all known data on to one page. Surely Ancestry must realise their audience tends to be slightly older than the ipod generation and prefer slighly bigger fonts and a degree of simplicity.
I was anticipating great things with the maps function but my first street name (Dudley St, Paddington) was inaccurate, FTM2011 uses microsoft "Bing" which shows incorrect street names (try it then compare to Google maps) I've been to Dudley St and know Google is correct. Nearly every location I have was unrecognised by Bing and I now need to "resolve" my place names to suit the Software, 644 of them (which can't be right).
Overall I would say if you haven't used any previous product then it's okay but if you have then I wouldn't recommend it (yet), although I have received an update which fixes some bugs.
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?