5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 18 May 2010
This review is from: PURE Sensia, Digital Audio System with Wi-Fi and Colour Touchscreen - Black (Electronics)
I've had my Sensia for a week now, and I'm very pleased I finally bought myself a decent music player for my bedroom. I've previously struggled with wireless music streamers from Creative and Logitech, and searching for tracks and artists using remote control keypads is a nightmare compared to the touchscreen on this Sensia. If it's just for the ease of searching via the touchscreen I'd recommend buying one of these, but it has more benefits as well:
- the FM radio works perfectly for me, and it's very easy to tune and store favourite stations;
- the DAB radio is excellent, and once again searching through stations and storing them is easy to do and it's easy to find your favourites again aferwards;
- the Internet radio stations offer an amazing array of musical taste, and once again searching and storing is simple;
- the Lounge, which is Pure's online site giving you access to all those Internet radio stations is perfectly usable, and when you register you're device with the Lounge then all your favourite stations are uploaded from the Sensia so that you can listen to them from a PC if you want to;
- the Lounge also offers some nice ambient sounds which I never thought I'd use, but now I use their Ocean Ambience to get to sleep - and it really works. I'm not sure who would use the sound of a Honda CBR or a Motorcross circuit as ambient sounds, though;
- the Apps work, and give you Facebook and Twitter updates, if you are really that desperate to keep up with your social network. I do use the Weather app every morning though, and it is nicely presented giving you just today's forecast when minimised and a full 5 day forecast when fullscreen;
- Pure's FlowServer is a simple, lightweight, DLNA compatable music server which streams all your music, with album art, to the Sensia without any problems; Once again searching, via the touchscreen, is no easy that it makes me start looking for those old, forgotten albums rather than relying on some tired playlists;
- FlowServer will also serve your photo collections, which makes the Sensia a very attractive wirelss photoframe. Something I didn't expect, and wouldn't have considered when looking for a music streamer - but now it's built in I always have my holiday photos in a slideshow once I've chosen my music.

There are some small niggles with the Sensia:
- the touchscreen is sometimes a little unresponsive, although this improved dramatically with the first update I did to version 1.7 of the software;
- the screen is sometimes slow to update and slightly juddery when displaying photos or apps.

Both these issues are probably due to lack of processing power available to scale photos and continue to maintain network connection and music processing. This reminds me of a touchscreen mobile phone of a couple of years ago. It's worth pointing out that the music never stutters, just the screen, so Pure have their priorities right in this regard.

All in all, I'm very glad to have bought the Sensia, since it gives me an FM radio, a DAB radio, an Internet radio, a music streamer and a wireless photo frame - all wrapped in a well put together and pretty design. I'd defintitely recommend one and my mates are jealous ;-)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]