on 3 December 2013
I thought I better write a review since a lot of 1 star reviews have started appearing.

first and foremost my experience with purchasing through Amazon was great, I pre-ordered back when the release date and price were still unconfirmed (May), and as usual with Amazon I didn't end up paying over the odds, was guaranteed a unit, didn't have to pay a penny until it was dispatched and received my order through the Amazon delivery service of DPD (can't recommend DPD enough).

Now on to the console itself, I have owned many consoles in the past (Atari 2600, Master System, Mega Drive, Jaguar (lol), PSone, PS2, Xbox 360 and a PS3). So you could say I've always preferred to consume my gaming through console as opposed to PC and I have been a fan of the Playstation for many years. However when the Xbox 360 was released, I was blown away by the HD resolution capabilities of the system after playing on a friends 360 and refused to wait any longer than I needed to, so went ahead and purchased one. I was having a blast playing online, made many friends and was at the time content in my choice instead of waiting for PS3.

Just after the warranty period was up with my 360 I experienced an odd flickering green screen before permanently going black. Turns out the GPU had burnt out (13 months after purchase), I spoke to customer support and despite haggling I had to pay £60 for it to be repaired (wasn't covered under the 3 yr policy for red ring)... after the 3rd time I sent it back in as many months and a damaged game disc I decided to sell it and buy a PS3. I didn't regret owning a 360, but I do have issue handing money over to a company that refuses to show some remorse for repeatedly taxing me to play a console that I paid for in the first instance...

I purchased this particular bundle of the PS4 as it appeared to be the best value (I planned on buying Killzone anyway), with the benefit of an extra controller and the PS Camera. The User Interface on the PS4 is fast and responsive and always a click or a voice command away, and I'm no fan of voice controlled gimmicks (one of my reasons for not choosing the Xboxone) but must say I've found myself using the feature quite a bit in the last few days and it works really well, I need only speak clearly but quietly and it is registered from across the living room.. Note that at this point the vocabulary is very limited at the moment (very basic functions), but with future updates it would be easy to widen functionality.

I have already mentioned the UI is snappy but it's also very clearly laid out for ease of use, the initial setup is almost all automated, but for those wanting a little more customization for specific rig requirements then nothing is too far out of reach.

The quality of the first round of games is a mixed bag Killzone and Resogun give glimpses into the future of the system at least in regards to aesthetics, but COD ghosts and Battlefield 4 are both very much straddling two generations of the PS platform (don't expect anything except up res graphics). I do very much appreciate how easy it is to hop out of the game and open another option/app within the PS4 home screen, complete a task and then hop straight back into the game where you left off.

Features like LIVE game streaming so that other people can view and comment on your gameplay work extremely well considering I have only a 300k up speed and I was also playing an online match at the time. And the "Live on Playstation" where you can just kick back and watch from hundreds of random live video feeds. And for those that don't want to broadcast live, but want to share a awesome moment with friends, family or the world can do so with the very convenient share button on the PS4 controller.. all these features are good now, but in the near future as more and more people are getting Fibre broadband these features including the larger downloads for digitally purchased games will truly come into their own.

Fully recommend the PS4.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.