on 24 July 2012
I read Jane Eyre quite by accident.

Many years ago i watched a period drama on television, and 2 weeks ago i thought i would finally read the book, so imagine my surprise when the book didnt tally with what i had seen on screen. It later came to me that what i had actually watched was Emma, by Jane Austen, but by the time i discovered my faux pas, i was so into Jane Eyre that i did not care one iota.

I was hooked from the first chapter, and enchanted by this poor creature who was enduring so much mental and physical torture, who was unloved, unwanted and alone.

As the story progresses we see Jane mature from a young rebellious thing to a fine, upstanding, sweet natured woman, who is headstrong and determined, and completely selfless.

Narrated in the first person, Bronte's writing instantly draws the reader into the story, compelling us to read another chapter, and another, without much respite. I found the book incredibly hard to put down. The way the story unfolds is mesmerising, and it is so intelligently written and absorbing; i often found myself musing over the previously read chapters when i did eventually put the book down for a rest.

The last two chapters had me in tears, literally; i was reading the final chapters while sat in my garden, sunglasses on, though when the tears began to fall, i had to remove them because tears just fell onto the plastic lenses, and then they fell onto the very pages which bought those tears on. I rarely get this emotional when reading, and i am quite sure i have never shed so many tears over any book until now.

Jane is such a likeable character and i am sure most readers identify with her, even today, some 180 years since its first publication, her situation and predicaments are something we all experience in our lives at some point.

Ten years ago i would not even have attempted to read such a book, i would have dismissed it as some pretentious, Victorian Gothic drivel, as boring as watching paint dry, but let me tell you, it is so beautifully written, so enchanting, and so easy to read; do not think for one second that it is complicated because it is not; the poetic way Charlotte writes will mesmerise you.

It is no wonder that this story has stood the test of time, and i am sure that in another 180 years time this fine example of english literature will have its fans as much as it does today.

Read Jane Eyre, i urge you, you will not regret it!
0Comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.