Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Discover more Shop now

3.0 out of 5 stars Streetfighter IV - A Casual Gamer's Review, 31 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I will freely admit my purchase of this was motivated by nostalgia. I will also freely admit that I am rubbish at fighting games. But there is always something about Streetfighter. Something indefinable that made me go back again and again.

This iteration looks incredible. The backdrops and characters have been exquisitely created. At some point, if you purchase the game, pause it and crawl over to your screen and watch it from a few inches away. The attention to detail is outstanding. For those of us who have grown up with Zangief, Blanka and Ken; they have never looked better.

Controlling the gang has not changed and is very easy to pick up. Console pads have always been a bit clunky with the SF series in my opinion, but unless you can find an expensive arcade joystick option, it is all you have.

The modes are your typical fight game fare - I was expecting a little more from this. I remember a great option from I think Streetfighter 2 Alpha called "World Tour", where you were set specific challenges instead of purely beating the opposition. It revitalised it a bit for me and I would have liked to have seen something similar.

Overall, this game is an excellent purchase and would be a dead cert purchase apart from one factor - the difficulty. I am not a hardcore gamer by any means and so don't expect to complete it on anything above medium. I gave up on more than one occasion on the second easiest setting because of the final boss. And this was after waltzing through all the other fights - the difficulty spike was unfair and became very frustrating. A far better playing friend of mine had a similar response, so I know it can not just be my innate awfulness.

It is still fun though, even if I have to play on the easiest setting. The movies and dialogue accompanying each character is a gleeful glimpse into the complete randomness of it all. I could not believe how understanding Ken's wife was!

I do recommend this game, but with reservations around the difficulty. I don't play multiplayer much and so this is not factored into my score. I would happily add another star on for this, as I expect there is a lot of value to be had from multilayer with your mates. If you are a SF aficionado, it has to be a cert. If you are wondering what the fuss is about, you could do a lot worse for £30.

[Add comment]