on 29 September 2013
A quick brief about me, I'm a sufferer of Intrusive Thoughts or Harm OCD (I really just prefer to use the term OCD however!) and recently found out I was pregnant (which sent my anxiety in overdrive) It was the worst thing that could of happened to me with my thoughts, or is it? "I am not my thoughts, OCD is just a big fat liar, a bully of the mental world" It would be easy to give into what OCD makes me feel/think, but that has got me nowhere so I'm fighting back! I deserve happiness, bullies didn't stop me getting where I am today so neither is this one!

I have read many books regarding OCD, this is one with a difference! It has a person-centred approach basis - giving clear examples of what the OCD sufferer thinks/predicts/feels. This without all the other jargon that other books seem to portray - books that are really directed at the already professional in the field, for a sufferer which only adds more unnecessary information to ponder on an already tired mind. This book enables you to work it out yourself, the resemblances that the authors (Dr. and Professor) give you to really make something "click"... It is important to note when I say "work it out yourself" I don't mean your brain working in overload, merely seeing the disorder through different eyes. For instance "Someone with OCD is on the lookout for danger, through sensitive emotions, sees danger immediately (naturally) as a pose to observing, before concluding the worst case scenario" I feel this book is the only one that confidently lets the sufferer practice Exposure and Response technique, without putting in much effort and in a non scary increased anxiety state, thus a neutralizing way. Books I have read previously, have made me question "What is worse? The OCD or the tools and techniques I'm doing to get better" For any sufferer OCD is already a full time job and runs on pretty much an overtired, overstressed fatigued mind. This is why I like this book, it enables me to see where OCD is taking control, through reading it I've already seen patterns of "Compulsions" that keeps the problem going, and I was originally diagnosed with "Pure-O" (Intrusive thoughts without the Compulsions) All in all this book will enable YOU to identify the monster and liar that is OCD and what it is that keeps that monster and liar alive!
50 people found this helpful