Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

on 8 February 2006
I bought this book when it was so reduced I couldn't resist it. A great admirer of Slater, I had looked at it and thought it over-priced, wordy, self-indulgent, poorly presented, and of little practical value. Indeed, a week after buying it I had decided to throw it out!
I don't know what changed my mind, but I'm very glad I did. This is a goldmine of wonderful hints towards great food. There are little stories of what's in season, pointers to menus, food for friends, and hundreds of flexible ideas on producing meals around a main ingredient. As to the type of food, it's typical Slater and typically British - covering every cuisine under the sun with style, panache, and no pretentions.
The book would have won 5 stars, but it is over-conscious of the message, far too long, and the "realistic" photos are a mistake. Once you grasp the knack of looking for the bold text in the margin, however, it is transformed into a very valuable addition to the kitchen arsenal. I like it more every time I use it.
If you want cooking prescriptions with lots of useless pictures, stick to the glossies from TV "chefs". Otherwise, consider Slater's book an essential purchase - at any price.
22 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?