Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 4 October 2010
Well, I will try to keep this short!

This was an excellent book in terms of writing style, Fisher has a great talent for character and description, that doesn't ever get boring, and it was this alone that really kept me reading.

However, in terms of actual story, this book was really lacking. The entirity of this book was, for me, something that would normally be the opening to any normal fantasy book, an introduction to the characters in a neutral place. However, the whole of this book was pretty much that. The idea of sorcery was rarely mentioned, at least, not until the very end, which seemed to me from the title to be a main feature of the story.

As I mentioned before, the characters are great and full of life. Even Katla, the main character, I thought was an excellent character! I usually don't like female characters, but I think Katla had such a strong personality and isn't ridiculously moany. she is a well written female lead, and it's a nice change!

The other characters were quite interesting, but each of them seemed to be slightly obsessed by sex, or at least, sexual organs, as this was mentioned quite a lot. Although, I will say that this isn't tastelessly done (and it so easily could have been that way!), it actually adds another, realistic and human, dimension to the characters.

All in all, this is a really good read, but I don't plan on reading any more in the series. There just wasn't enough depth of story to make me interested in it, and even the excellent characters aren't enough to push me to read them. But i do still recommend this to all fantasy fans, especially those who like the work of Kate Elliot or susan dexter.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink