on 17 March 2008
I'm such a fan of Shana Abe, her prose is often sheer poetry, so beautiful. However I wouldn't recommend this as an intro to her work. The idea sounded really exciting but I was really disappointed with the stories, they all seemed to be missing a certain something. I would have gave it 2 stars if not for the lovely prose.

The first story (siren and the king) and the second story (assassin and the selkie) were fine but seemed to fizzle out and run out of spark. Maybe they would have worked better as longer romances? It was a shame because I really wanted to like the characters but they didn't seem that developed. They were both 7/10

However the last story was the worst. Maybe its just me but I just didn't get it and I found myself skimming the pages. It was the only one with a modern setting and I just couldn't get into the story. It sounds a bit harsh but feel this was the weakest story and really let the whole collection down.

Unless you are a die hard fan who has to collect everything by Shana Abe, I would give this a miss and glom her other wonderful works ie Secret Swan etc
What's this?