4.0 out of 5 stars Room for some improvements, but still a fantastic Blu-Ray player, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Sony BDPS185B.CEK Compact Size Blu-ray Player (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 6:19 Mins

The Sony BDPS185 blu-ray player is certainly the smallest blu-ray player I have ever owned, it has a neat suave look as well as being extremely light to carry.

It comes with a small sized remote which didn't bother me as I found it to be very comfy to hold and is easy to navigate with.

The device has the same XMB(Cross Media Bar) interface as the PS3, personally I think it's one of the easiest navigation bars to deal with and welcome it to this blu-ray player.

That said there is one thing that bothers me when navigating around the interface and that is the frame rate, sometimes it can feel a little laggy (not so smooth), it would be nice to see if they can sort this issue out somehow.

This device has these ports available:
1) USB Port.
2) LINE OUT (VIDEO).
3) LINE OUT (R-AUDIO-L)
4) DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL).
5) HDMI OUT.
6) LAN (100) terminal (Ethernet Port).

There are two let-downs in this category, the main issue for me is there isn't an optical out, I like to experience the ultra sharp surround sounds through my home cinema system, but to do this I would need an optical out.

The other is regarding connectivity to the internet, you can only do it through an Ethernet cable, I've had multimedia devices before that will let you stick a USB Wifi stick into it's USB slot and can connect to the internet that way, but this device is unable do to so.

When connected to the internet, you're able to view a selection of internet channels such as: BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, Sky News, Eurosport, YouTube and you can even connect to your LoveFilm account. Surprisingly this device does not currently have ITV player or 4oD, two really popular channels, the PS3 has it, so I do not see why this player can't also.

The playback of media through a USB stick was mostly a good experience, it played my videos/movies & music to the quality the format it's supposed to be, as for the photo's, it would of been a bonus to have a "fit to screen" option, other than that, I was happy with the outcome.

The Blu-ray quality is top-notch, picture and sound was super crisp, just as you would expect from a blu-ray player.

Overall I think the price is very reasonable and would recommend this player, if you think the negative points I have mentioned may annoy you, then I would say look at a different model, but other than that, I thinks it's a good buy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Nov 2011 12:01:52 GMT
Can i just ask - does this have the ability to connect to surround sound or not? Just asking as i am thinking of purchasing this for my husband but i know it will be connected to surriound sound and dont want to get it if it does not have the ability to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 19:51:33 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
I've only ever connected my surround sound through optical cable, in this case the answer is no as it doesn't have an optical out. However there are other audio connections, i've uploaded pictures of the back of this device, you could see whether these connections match up, but i've never connected surround sound via other means so cannot be fully certain if you're doing it a different way, so I apologise if I was no help to you on this certain situation.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 12:10:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2011 12:32:36 GMT
Ram says:
Hi,

Have you tried connecting USB portable Hard disk?, I have tried but the player is not detecting the HDD (FAT32/NTFS). I am able to play the files from USB flsh drive (memory Stick). I have returned my first one hoping some problem with the USB port. But second one also not able to detect. Many posts written that it can play the files from portable USB HDD (Western digital/ Segagte). Could you please comment your views.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2011 13:56:47 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
I've only ever tried a flash drive and currently don't have an external Hdd to test this out, however I would be very disappointed if this player could not read from one and I wanted to stream movies onto this device . :/ Sorry if I haven't been of much help.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2012 13:21:13 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
An update for anyone wanting to connect a USB HDD, it can't power up portable HDD drives that rely on the devices to power them up, it doesn't have enough power to do so, whereas ones that you have to power-up via the mains are fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 20:53:50 GMT
andyt says:
You would need a surround sound amp with either HDMI inputs or digital coaxial. Something like this: Sony STR-DH520 7.1 Channel DH Series 3D A/V Receiver

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 23:21:31 GMT
MyKeyReviews says:
Nice, cheers for that Andyt! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 14:00:39 BDT
tonybullo says:
Hi
could u possiable connect a Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter to the above blue ray player and thus then able to use the various internet capabilities of this blue ray player?
if u check on here it will show u what leads the Netgear Universal Wifi adapter uses

i just slighly concern when u stated that this player was actually lacking on a) internet capabilities and u would need to use a ethernet cable

also how good is the HD quality of the Dvds when u upscale them on this blue ray player?
let me know about this
I did all in all find your overal video review like the last time very helpful but i would appreciate u answer the above questions when u can
thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 22:05:17 BDT
MyKeyReviews says:
Hi there, unfortunately you can only hook it up to the internet via an Ethernet cable, using wifi dongles are not compatible with this product.

As for the up-scaling, I personally thought it looked fine, but there's only go so far with a DVD as it's a non-HD format.

Hope this helps,

- Mike. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 21:02:45 BDT
tonybullo says:
Hi Mike
Thanks for answering my questions.I see that the blue ray playback quality is both superab and smooth going off your video review above.Can i ask once u put the blue ray disk in how long before this blue ray player plays them roughly in secs and does this also apply to when u playing DVDS?
Also would u need a long ethernet cable connected to ur modem to use the internet/smart capabities of this blue ray player
I would appreciate you could answer the above questions.
thanks again