Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 21 February 2013
I'm really impressed by this case. We have an iPad 4th gen and two kids so it was high on my priority list to get a solid case. I was really torn between this one and the Griffin survivor case. After reading the reviews I went for the Otterbox and I'm glad I did.

The case consists of a thick plastic surround that clips onto the iPad and holds it snug. There is also a rubber surround that goes on the outside to create a second layer of protection and an ergonomic rubbery grip. There is a polycarbonate lid which clips onto the front of the case to protect the front of the iPad when on the move or in a bag. The lid will also clip onto the back of the case so it's out of the way when you are using your iPad. The lid also contains a built in stand which can be flipped out and provides two different angles, around 30 degrees and 80 degrees, depending on which way round you place the iPad. Both stand positions work with the iPad in portrait or landscape orientation. When the lid is removed, the screen is protected by a plastic sheet screen protector.

Unlike a couple of other reviewers, I found the touch screen to be just as sensitive with the plastic screen protector as it was without the screen protector and I haven't noticed any reduction in screen quality. I don't even notice that there is a screen protector on it, to be honest. The home button does need slightly more pressure but we don't find this a problem. If it gets too annoying, I'll just stick a small square of cardboard under the rubber to improve the sensitivity, like another user advised.

Pros:
Rugged design and although we've not tested it, I'm convinced it would easily survive a drop onto our tiled floor.
The plastic lid covers the screen when not in use so there is no risk of screen damage when transporting the iPad - which is a real plus in my book.
There is a gap in the case over the speaker so there is no loss of sound quality when case is on.
There are flaps in all the right places for the charger, headphones etc., gaps for the front & back cameras and buttons for the volume control and home button which line-up perfectly with the iPad (unlike with the Griffin case)
The stand is attached to the plastic lid and can be popped up when you need it. There are two stand positions are pretty perfect for all our applications (another big plus over the Griffin case). Note: when the stand is engaged the iPad just rests on the lid without clipping in so if on the move you need to carry both bits or just close the stand and clip the lid on the front or back of the iPad

Cons:
It's not a pretty case but it's functional - well worth it to protect our investment.
The case makes the iPad pretty bulky and pretty heavy but that doesn't affect it's use in our household and my 4 year old uses it without any problem.
We got a black case and now our lovely white iPad is a fetching shade of black. It's not a problem for me really but might annoy others. I understand that you can buy different colours of Otterbox in the US and it would be pretty easy to replace the black rubber outer with a different coloured one.

NB:This is not a waterproof case and it's not designed as such. I suspect it will survive accidental spillages or light rain however the microphone port on the front and the speaker on the back are not covered so if the ipad becomes immersed, it will take on water. I do not intend to take this device swimming so not a problem for me. The positive is that there is no reduction in sound recording or output quality, unlike other iPad cases.

If you are considering both the Otterbox and Griffin cases for your iPad (which for me after reading many reviews were the only two that I considered), read the negative comments for both before making your decision. That is what swung it for me and the Otterbox and I'm glad I made this choice.
11 Comment| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?