3.0 out of 5 stars A hostile take over, 6 July 2013
This review is from: City Under the Moon (Paperback)
★★★City Under the Moon by Hugh Sterbakov

I was given this R2R in exchange for my honest review.

My honest opinion is this book is like a kid with A.D.H.D. on a sugar high. Take the candy away, and sit down for a minute. This book jumps topic to topic more than I do, if you can believe that.

Ok, so first things first, I read this book out of pure curiosity, after reading some crazy reviews, and we all know they must be true, I got it off the internet. Well, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Let's start with, I've read plenty of books with werewolves in them, but never zombie-ish werewolves. So to have straight up killing machine werewolves was a change of pace. Needless to say, there was blood, guts, and gore by the city full.

The characters worked to the story. I liked Tildascow. I loved her attitude and attitude problem. She states her piece, and if you don't like, move on. She is a strong assassin. With all the government studies and testing, she will be the Bionic Woman, before long.

Lon, whatever, you pretty much lost after all of the W.O.W. nonsense. I get too much of that here. I surely don't want to see it in a book. One more W.O.W. reference, and I was going to jump ship, even if there were only 20 pages left. I did like that the "fat, ugly, nerdy" kid got to play hero. That was a nice change. He had a couple good one liners.

The Shadow Stalkers, I'm guessing they are the reason for all the "this is funny comments on reviews." They did have a few good ones funny sayings. But seriously, the "military jargon" would be excessive, even for a fuzzy, coming out of AIT, trying to look cool.

Yannic Ilecko, the strong silent type. He was just misunderstood. I'm glad that after all the hurt and anger, he gets some happiness. He deserves to find the kid he never had, and will make a great father figure. Besides without his new found son, how is he supposed to get over the many adjustment issues.

Let's not forget the "____ Witch" Elizabeth. Come on she has purple hair and a dildo with a winged costume, can you ask for more? So I'm trying to forget that she's a gamer.

Demetrius Valenkov is the resident super villain. The ruler of the lycanthropes, is he a good guy or bad guy? Who would have thought yoga and meditation could keep the inner werewolf away? That's some powerful stuff. Watch out for people with yoga mats.

No action was lost in the writing of this book. I could feel the urgency and panic. Most of it was plausible in a war time situation. I've heard the chaotic orders, and the running around, grabbing the "go bag" and being gone. It brought back memories, and a quicken heartbeat. This made all the fight scenes more believable. Although if we are to believe Tildascow has been rehardwired to basically a machine, I really don't believe all the training in the world, would allow special ops to keep up with her, for as long as they did, after all they are only human.

But there were a few things that irritated me beyond belief. I'm getting annoyed even thinking about it now. They really took away from my enjoyment of the book.

First was all the blatant advertising. I really hope you got some endorsement deals from it. Was this some "let's be sneaky" subliminal way to get me to think I need nonsense. Seriously here's a few:
*Nike *Gillette *World of Warcraft(expansion pack) *FOX News *ABC News *CNN *Comedy Central *New York Times *MTV *Gatorade *Cadillac *Apple *Entertainment Tonight *and all the movies
Need I continue? Seriously, product dropping for a quarter of the book is ridiculous. You are not as good at brainwashing as Valenkov.

The other thing was the over use of scientific jargon. Seriously, unless you work on one of those "classified" project, a normal person would never know that. And it was repeated, and repeated, and repeated, over and over, and over. Get the picture? Good thing my reader has a dictionary function. It felt like I was never going to finish this, with all the looking up, I was doing.

All this activity takes place in a very short amount of time, a couple of days. But the book is not really in chronological order. It is also broke up, with no real rhyme or reason. Part 1- 6 chapters, Part 2- 15 chapters, Part 3- 13 chapters, Part 4- 19 chapters, Interlude, Part 5- 9 chapters, Part 6- 20 chapters, Part 7- 15 chapters, Epilogue. So on top of all that craziness, the story will go on for a while, only to start over somewhere else. They all seemed to be date, time, and location stamped, but still confusing to follow. The many POV's, left wondering, who's talking now, from time to time.

Part 4 chapter 3, my copy is page 259 of 774
One of the lines is: "My father, The Right Honourable Zaharius Baron Valenkov III, has fallen under a curse which transforms him into a wolf under the light of the moon." (Excerpt from letter to President Bush, from Demetruis Valenkov April 2007)
-This would make our present day, werewolf mastermind Valenkov, the IV.

Now with so much of this story revolving around lineage and gene transfer, wouldn't it make sense to keep it straight?

Epilogue, last line
She was raising Zaharius Valenkov IV. (Really?!?!?!? Not possible. Who the hell is this?)
Maybe big daddy Valenkov was very uncreative, and named multiple kids the same thing, but then we'd have an age issue. But even George Foreman had the sense to put a different count after the names. And please tell me, "she" is not that stupid.

So all in all, I really enjoyed half the book, but really hated parts, too. So where does that leave the rating? I guess right in the middle.

Thanks to the author for showing me a werewolves, how they were meant to be, killing machines.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]