4.0 out of 5 stars No complaints...., 8 May 2013
This review is from: KitchenCraft Le'Xpress Classic 8-Cup Stainless Steel Cafetière, 1 Litre (1.75 Pints) (Kitchen & Home)
It interested me that the reviews for this item were so mixed & wondered how most people found it excellent whilst a few found it dire... Seeing that it is manufactured by LeXpress (I already have their excellent 8 cup double walled pot), I went ahead & purchased it for the house anyway (my double waller resides in the caravan).

My notes following use:

1) It is well made & sturdy.
2) The top is a slightly loose fit (the subject of some negative comments), although it is pretty intuitive to place a finger on the plunger finial as you pour. The finial does not transfer the heat adequately enough to burn your finger.
3) Despite it looking like the filter is a nice tight fit as it travels up & down within the cafetiere, a few grains (and the normal coffee "dust") do appear in the bottom of your cup... Especially with the last cup.
I am however used to other cafetieres doing this & as it is by no means excessive I am personally not at all bothered by it (others may differ).
4) Unlike my excellent double walled cafetiere from the same manufacturer, this is a single skinned variety which is reflected in the £10 price difference. The fact that stainless steel does transfer heat better than glass is a given fact, and the simple solution is to douse the pot with a good slug of boiling water before use (the old adage of "warm the pot" is the key). I don't bother doing this with my double walled pot, as although some heat is lost on initial contact, the thermal properties of that pot still keep it to an acceptable temperature.
I find that this cafetiere (the single skinned one) actually serves HOTTER coffee when I warm the pot as described... You just cannot leave it sitting around for as long...
Another solution is to purchase a quirky cafetiere warmer/jacket (available here on Amazon).
5) Mine pours really well (without any drips or dribbles). Some reviewers however state the opposite as their experience. As far as I can see, this can therefore only be due to slight manufacturing flaws.

Overall I have found this a really good product for the money. Sure, glass cafetieres are more heat efficient, but they also break (very easily) & I have lost count of the ones I have replaced over the years.
I do take on board the other reviews that state genuine issues, and put these down to manufacture flaws... The slightest irregularity in the bore of the cafetiere (for example) will cause grains to bypass the filter & fluid to squirt up qhen you press the plunger.
This product is dispatched via Amazon themselves (not a "marketplace" affiliate), and so return is simple & hassle free should you get a "duffer".
Knowing how decent this cafetiere is, I would then advise ordering a replacement rather than giving up completely..

I have been pretty ruthless here & knocked a star off for the very few grains that appear at the bottom of my cup (although they appear to me to be no more evident than with most other cafetieres), otherwise I can find little to complain about.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]