on 27 May 2014
I am a big fan of the horror genre, with Stephen King being my favourite writer within it, but also having enjoyed a number of other authors both modern and classic (including Lovecraft and M.R. James). I am also someone who hates to put a book down before finishing it. However, this book was so awful that I got half-way and gave up. I hated it to the extent that instead of chucking it in the charity shop pile I put it in the recycling bin as I didn't want to inflict it on another unsuspecting person.
I enjoyed the prologue and thought is showed a lot of promise but as the book went along it was hampered by characters I didn't care about, very uneven plot pacing and quite a few stereotypes. Also, I like suspense in my horror - I like the flesh to creep for invisible and unknown threat, not my stomach to churn because of very detailed and disgusting invention that gets quite repetitive. Being horrified and being made to feel physically sick are not the same things. Nothing is left to the imagination and the grotesques that are drawn in absolute detail aren't actually frightening but just, well, gross. Combine them with the truly dull protagonists and really all you want is for the whole thing to get sucked into some netherworld and never bother you again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink