5.0 out of 5 stars Written in Red, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Written in Red (Novel of the Others) (Mass Market Paperback)
I finished reading a trilogy a little while ago and I rated the books with 5 stars... They were stunning books to read and they sit proudly on my 'favourite' shelf of 2014 (Shadow Reader, Sandy Williams). I didn't think I'd come across any books that would rate the same as these - and then I put my hands on Written in Red by Anne Bishop!!!!

The book was easy reading, exciting, gripping, tantalising, beautiful and one that I hated putting down. I can honestly say that my working career was in the way of this book - the book that I want to rate with more stars than I am allowed to give it.

The story centres around The Others, the creatures that see humans as meat. Simon is The Pack Leader and he shares the courtyard with The Others, the elementals, the vampires, coyote and a bear! There are creatures that reside here that humans don't even know about... and even The Others are unaware of all of them, Tess!

Meg is on the run and Simon agrees to give her a job instead of tossing her out in the deathly winter storm... She doesn't smell like prey and confuses his wolf.

Meg is different...

Sam is Simon's young nephew, his mother was murdered by humans and they have yet to be found. Since his mother's death, Sam has remained in wolf form... then Sam meets Meg, the new Liaison Officer.

The story's main line is finding out what Meg is and why her 'controller' wants her back. We work our way through why The Others are where they are and who most of them are. We learn about humans being 'meat' and simply prey.

This story was absolutely fantastic, a story so gripping I will be thinking of it for days to come. It doesn't paint the vampires as we know them from many other books and it does not paint the wolves are a species that are furry or friendly. Anne Bishop has an amazing talent, she puts the scenes from each chapter firmly in my mind without me having to work at thinking things through. She has created a world that I have never come across before and it's a world where I think would be far to scary to live in and the world is very believable considering this is paranormal at its best.

As the chapters fell away and I came to the end of the story, I breathed in a sigh (literally), sat back and then my immediate thought was 'I can't wait to read book two'...

Brilliance at its best for sure!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]