3.0 out of 5 stars Good but has major problems - Upgraders read first!, 28 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Acronis True Image Home 2009 (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the previous Acronis True Image for 2 years now to back up over 40Gb of work data on a daily basis. I've always found it a real gem, so I decided to get the newer "better" version and upgrade to 2009. The manual states that you can just install 2009 straight over the top of previous versions, which sounded very useful.

After installation had completed (a hideous experience that I've described below) I was pleased to see that the interface had been overhauled, and presented lots of clear and easy-to-understand options with context-sensitive help at the bottom of each page.
The one-click backup solution is useful if you don't really understand the different types of backups available (full, differential, & incremental).

The pretty interface soon lost its novelty value though, as a rediculous number of issues took hold. I've detailed some of these annoyances:

- The software uses a 64 digit serial code. How much time do Acronis think we've got to waste?!
- Nearly all serial numbers are shipped as being faulty! This is an ACKNOWLEDGED PROBLEM on Acronis' web site and you should register online instead of through the software itself. Also note that the registration URL is case-sensitive! If you don't read the pamphlet in the box I'd hate to guess how long it would take you to figure all this out!
- Following installation the software would not update online. I got two errors each time and updating failed. This is just not acceptable in this day and age where online updates are critical to maintain performance.
- After installation a reboot is required. I forgot to take out the CD and so Acronis booted into rescue mode. It was then I found out my Wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse DID NOT WORK in rescue mode! Thank goodness I still own my old wired hardware, but not many modern PC's are even shipped with wired devices. Another totally unacceptable problem.
- My main gripe is that 2009 removed ALL my previous backup schedules! I had to go and set each one up again which is absolutely rediculous when the manual claims to "simply update" the software
- The "Search" tool is a blatant advertisement for Google Desktop and Windows Desktop Search, demanding either is installed in order for it to work.
- The backup wizard only has a NEXT button, and no BACK button. Therefore you've got to use the side panel to navigate back a step if you need to change anything. A small issue but a bit weird!

So will I keep version 2009? Well, now I've gone to the trouble of setting up all the schedules again, yes I will. I'm not impressed with it however, and if you have the previous version then I recommend sticking with it, because the new options don't warrant either the money or time to upgrade it.

----------------------
UPDATED INFORMATION
----------------------

I submitted my first review to Amazon a few weeks ago after finding a few problems with this software that people should be aware of before they buy it. Since then some additional problems have surfaced that have completely prevented me from trusting it with my data:

Annoyingly, the software will not register even with the online code. After I had the same problem as other reviews originally with getting a code from Acronis' web site, the code I have be given by Acronis will not stay registered. The software accepts it, but the next time the software starts, it states that it is no longer registered! Scheduled backups therefore have all failed (on XP Pro) meaning the software sits there being completely useless! I have patched the software online and the problem remains.

Also, the log viewer is incredibly frustrating to use. In the previous version you could quickly see all log events and locate problems quickly. Now you have to manually configure the filter to show a particular timeframe, then the logs appear as entries underneath. You then have to expand each log entry to find the problem. It is a mystery to me why Acronis have replaced their previous design with something that is more frustrating and less functional.

More importantly, if a backup fails you get no notification! Instead it quietly buries the evidence in the log file in the hope that one day you might browse it and see the failed backup. Come on Acronis, this is our data we're talking about! If a backup fails I want alarm bells to ring!

So to go back to my original review question about whether I am keeping 2009? The answer is now "No!". I am going to format my machine and reinstall the previous version (Acronis True Image 10) because it is simpler to use and massively more reliable. If you have version 10, stick with it. If you are thinking of buying this, buy version 10 instead.

Also, True Image is backup software. Why then does it need a File Shredder and Clean-up tool to 'destroy usage history', and another tool to completely erase a disk? Although possibly good tools, they seem gimmicky when bundled in with this title, and should have been offered as free downloads.

I hope Acronis can quickly act to remedy all the problems reviewers are having with this title. Perhaps v11 might even have online backup, too...?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Mar 2009, 09:41:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Mar 2009, 09:41:49 GMT
Mr Gumby says:
There is much to comment on here, but I'll stick to the remarks about Google and Windows desktop search. They seem unfair. I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding on the part of the reviewer. To quote PC Pro:

Archives are no longer a closed labyrinth of files: if you use either Windows' or Google's Desktop Search utilities, Acronis can install a plug-in which enables their use in text searches of .TIB archives. Whether it's just to see in which archive a given file resides, or to actually open, edit or move a particular file, it's a useful addition that further extends True Image's post-backup flexibility.

See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/234099/acronis-true-image-2009.html?searchString=true+image+2009

Posted on 14 Oct 2009, 15:24:15 BST