on 21 March 2013
I'll start by saying I love Jawbone products; I own two of the original Jambox and treasure both dearly. The only thing I feel they lack is, at times, a bit of extra volume.

With that in mind I thought the Big Jambox was the answer I had been looking for!

How wrong I was.

Having owned two of the original Jambox (and having listened to a large number of competitor wireless speaker systems) I did not buy the Big Jambox with unrealistic expectations. I had hoped that, as you would assume from the statistics behind the unit, it would simply be a louder, bigger version of the original. As it is also shown, in the advertising images, sat on a DJ turn tables I hoped it may even have a little more bass than the original.

Upon unboxing I immediately loved the ascetics of the Big Jambox. It's a great looking piece of kit. I feels sturdy and has a really nice weight behind it. The only reason it did not get one star, is because it looked so good.

Unfortunately, after this great first impression it was all down hill. I cannot tell you how bitterly disappointed I was with how the Big Jambox sounded. I actually thought I had plugged the 3.5mm jack in incorrectly the sound was so bizarrely unbalanced. There is ZERO response for lower frequencies. Music sounds strange as the bass is so painfully lacking. I am by no means a 'bass head' but I like my music to be balanced, something which the Big Jambox could not be further from.

The thing that really irked me though, is that on a side by side test (well in two adjoining rooms), a group of my friends and I all agreed that the original Jambox had a nicer, richer more balanced sound. How on earth can that be the case when the Big Jambox costs almost twice as much.

My unit also had some kind of issue with its bluetooth, the quality and range being sub par (again compared to its smaller brother).

All in all I feel the Big Jambox is better named the Big Joke... or maybe Big Paper-weight. Im not going to lie, if it was cheaper I would repurchase one because it looks so good. I don't think I would ever listen to it though!

The bottom line is - for the sound quality, it's not even close to worth the money. Buy a Jambox.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?