2.0 out of 5 stars Not much use - bit too thick on the self-promo, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Fashioning your Life - A clothing designer's guide Volume 1 (Paperback)
This book looks big - it's not - it took me just over an hour to read - I therefore think it's overpriced. It's nice to hear Samata's story, and she's a really likeable person, but it's more like having a pep talk from a mate than a really useful guide to the industry.

This book does not have much substance, for example, she raises things you need to think about like how it's important to know buying times, but doesn't give any answers. I think a lot of the information in this book could be found quite easily on google - for free. She'd be better off publishing it online for free, linking to her label's website - I really felt this book was just a self promo, name-dropping opportunity.

Lots of typos too, which is another reason why the £16.99 price tag is misplaced.

An interesting girl, and a good role model for those who haven't taken the traditional route to fashion design, but this is not the detailed guide I was looking for.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2009 17:44:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2009 17:45:16 BDT
Corie Amos says:
Have to strongly disagree -been sharing this great find with my course mates! To be frank :-) the description clearly states 60 pages, 14.81 cm x 20.99 cm and I got waaaaaay more than I paid for. She got in lots of information without it feeling like a system overload. I think if she had gone into more detail on some issues it would have got too much digest and less bite-sized for Volume 1 which was essentially an introduction to the fashion industry hence the designer descriptions, key organisations, education routes etc. Loved the info about work placements , designer characteristics (still working on my trend-spotting ability!!!) and Ziryab too. Buying times is really covered in more detail in Volume 2 as that is for a designer at a further stage i.e. ready to launch or sell. Trade shows and buying advice is also in Volume 2 . It's an easy mistake to make that's why you have to read the back of book descriptions before you buy :-).

I think you are right about one thing though - I definitely warmed to her as a person too because she shared her own story without overtly glamorous hype, the project Catwalk story was an eye opener wasn't it?! This is actually the only bad review I've read of the book so I'd suggest you give your feedback to the author she may take a while to get back to you but she is very responsive through her blog: http://samatasmusings.blogspot.com I messaged her after I got my books to say thanks!
All the best and best of luck with your clothing initiative!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2010 11:09:05 BDT
I just think there are much better books out there for a more justifable price, like Toby Meadows "How to set up and run a fashion label", which covers everything....including the answers to the questions Samata raises.
I guess we all have different expectations, but I'm sorry to say I would not recommend Samata's book, she is a pr person more than a designer (like her little excerpt about not having the patience for pattern making on the page opposite where she lists the characteristics of a designer to include "skilled craftmanship"). At least she's honest I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2011 13:12:04 GMT
Corie Amos says:
I think there are different books out there for different people, this was def a good one for me. She is honest about her strengths so whereas she admits to not being amazing when it comes to pattern making she also says she is when sewing and beading which is also a demonstration of craftsmanship.... I appreciate her fresh honesty and actually found the book really useful. For me I also bought the book because of her story and the work in the industry has been so impressive and I am glad she shared information about her journey through the industry so I didnt see it as PR, more sharing her experiences so other start up designers could learn from them. Great read! I didn't spot any typos - the proof readers should have though!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 12:32:59 GMT
She now has a website www.samataangel.com really cool.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 12:34:10 GMT
I agree. I loved this book. She made me think about what I enjoyed most about fashion design. It does clearly say 60 pages or so. I am glad her next book is out on Bloomsbury though!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›