on 7 June 2004
The book is well written, in a fun style without too much in the way of facts and figures, although it is pretty much the same format as every other diet book I've read (and, believe me, I've read a few). Sometimes I felt like I was being lectured by an American teen (even though this is a British book) with things being "cool" to eat and being urged to "get off my buns" and exercise, and other "hip" phrases that I found a little patronising, but that's just a personal thing.
The content of the book itself is a wonderful idea. Incorporating a restricted "processed" carb food intake with increased fresh vegetables in an enforced balanced diet with "v,v,p,c" (veggie, veggie, protein, carb). This is handy if the reader needs to get an idea of what a balanced diet actually consists of, so I applaud that. The only problem I have is that, in avoiding promoting particular brands the writers abstract their points system somewhat from the real world. There is no way to work out what the "points" value of a product is, even if you have the fibre, protein and carbohydrate figures printed on it. That, for me, was a major disappointment.
Overall, a good book, with some useful tips, but I need a bit more help with applying it to the food I buy.
0Comment| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?