on 14 May 2014
I've just discovered Ezra Furman and I've been completely blown away by the man. I don't normally write reviews but feel compelled to sing his praises. I bought this Album and a couple of others on the strength of the free Amazon download Bar/None Sampler which contains the brilliant My Zero.His songs are so good i'm almost tongue tied, beautiful lyrics, heartfelt tunes played with such soul by his amazing band The Boyfriends. I was lucky enough to catch them live at Prestons 53 Degrees and I wasn't disappointed they rocked the place, the best concert I've ever been to bar none.

I read an interview where he described The Year Of No Returning as the depressive, introspective side to Day of The Dogs Manic Rock and Roll, TYONR is more your Sunday morning listening to DOTD Saturday night, I love them both.

The stand out track for me is Queen of Hearts, it moves me so much, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Just check these lyrics out

It's the search for a church in the bottom of your purse
A spiritual home that you can take to the mall
You dig and you dig but you can only find your wallet
And your phone with a hundred missed calls
You could never return them all

And I watch you with your purse from the adjacent coffee table
At the Starbucks they built inside my heart
When your makeup starts to run I can see you're getting older
I can see your life has been hard
Your face is worn like an old playing card
The Queen of Hearts

I am working in my bedroom, I'm composing all the music
For a film that will never by made
It's the story of my life, a 1,000,000-hour epic
About a good man who went down in flames
Who got lost in God's multitude of names

I am searching, I am searching, I am waving my antennae
Trying to pick up some signal through this dream
I'm an ant in a hill, but I think and I feel
And I'm composing these love letters to the
Queen
Hoping somebody will see what I mean
The Queen of Hearts

An amazing song on a brilliant Album by a breath takingly talented singer. I've seen the future good people and Ezra Furman has given Rock and Roll the kiss of life it so desperately needed.
What's this?