on 27 August 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Raquel Cassidy does a good Amy Pond, and that's my way of starting off with a compliment before going on to bemoan what in my mind is a very sub-standard story. Frustratingly, as I look back on it, it starts off very well with an interesting premise, the promise of peril and a good helping of the humour-filled dialogue we love from the Eleventh Doctor and his companions. About halfway through things change for the worse, as what would anywhere else be the big reveal and confrontation arrives way too early and then descends into a very long, drawn out and frankly uncomfortable shouting match, followed by an ending that could almost have been taken off the least dusty shelf in the cliché library.

I would have loved for this story of genetically engineered humans on a high gravity mining world to have gone through a couple of good plot twists and ended up in one of those off the wall yet humanist solutions straight from the mind of the Doctor, but this plot had as many twists as a lamppost.

I apologise if I sound sarcastic. I just feel a responsibility to get my point across to those who would buy it, knowing as I do that there are far better stories out there. I'll stress again that up until halfway through, I was actually enjoying this story and thinking it was going to go somewhere, only for the second half to completely ruin that enjoyment. I don't know what went so wrong, and hope for the writers' sake that it was only such a letdown because they were running out of time or caught a cold or something.
11 Comment| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?