on 25 July 2009
I'm totally new to cooking and I've had this book now for a couple weeks and I love it but a couple things are starting to bug me.

I've made 12 or so dishes, 2 have been amazing and I'll make them again without hesitating, the rest have been well above average in taste and flavor.

For the most part the recipes are very well explained and are easily followed. Specifically the Index is amazing and makes the book very useable.

There is just the right amount of information, so you feel informed but not stupid. It's definitely written for the intelligent reader.

Unlike the BBC Food recipes which are all 3-4 steps the recipes in here are varied in complexity, which I really like. Some days you want something simple with 4 ingredients that will take 15 minutes other days you have an afternoon and want to make something more complex. I really like that variety in this book.

On the other side of positive...

Almost every third recipe has one "exotic" ingredient. Meaning there's always something I can't find in the local shops and I have to make substitutions. Swish Chard, Lovage, Borage being a few off the top of my head.

Not all the recipes contain serving sizes (such as the Spinach Gnocchi on page 53). Some recipes contain the information in the last step, "divide into 4 plates" etc, and most commonly they are

Some recipes contain mistakes or omissions (The butternut squash risotto with toasted walnuts and deep-fried sage on page 365 calls for an onion but nowhere in the recipe does it tell you that you have to chop it)

There is no calories per serving information in any of the recipes.

None of the recipes give you any idea of how long it's going to take to make them.

Overall this is my favorite cook book and I make something out of it almost every day.
22 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details