4.0 out of 5 stars An expensive necessity for the likes of PS+, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sony PlayStation Vita Memory Card 16GB Model (PlayStation Vita) (Accessory)
A memory card for the likes of the Vita is a hard thing to review – after all you’ll need one at some point to save game data at the least (the Vita doesn’t have memory for this built in). For this purpose the 4GB card that Sony bundles in with a lot of Vita consoles is good enough, as save games don’t require a massive amount of memory.
However, if you are looking to download full games or downloadable content (DLC) you are really going to need something more than a paltry 4GB. With the (frankly brilliant) advent of Playstation + (PS+), a larger memory card becomes a necessity.
So, having PS+, I came to the point where I required a card larger than the 4GB that came bundled with the console- downloading the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss takes up 3485MB!

Of course, I baulked at the price of the memory cards- like everyone else that has posted a review so far- as we have been spoiled by the pricing of Secure Digital cards and such like over the last few years.
Apparently, Sony went with their own proprietary cards for the Vita to ‘ensure a stable user experience for all Vita buyers’ (which may be true) though it’s widely regarded that the reason was to try and combat piracy which plagued the PSP. However, in doing so they closed the memory card market for the Vita to themselves, meaning there is no competition and prices are high.
I bought the 16GB card as I couldn't settle myself spending sixty quid on a 32GB card – it’s just too much.

The card arrived the next day in an Amazon cardboard envelope package which was suitable for the item. The memory card is stored within a sealed card (as per the Amazon product picture). Cutting along the edge opens and reveals an instruction sheet hidden inside and the card held in a plastic sleeve.
The cards themselves are very similar to the likes of the SD cards but slightly larger (15mm x 13mm). They slot into the bottom right of the Vita (looking face on), below the serial number sticker.

As I previously had the 4GB card I had used the Content Manager to save my game saves to the PS+ Online Storage -you can also save to a PC or PS3. This meant that all I had to do was transfer the saves to the new card, download the games I wanted from the PS Store and I was away.

I currently have ten games installed on my 16GB card which are a mix of full vita games (Uncharted, Need For Speed), PS Store games (Super Stardust, etc) and PS Mobile games. I could probably get one more full Vita game installed before I run out of space.
The cards are of a good quality – I have experienced no corruption of data or write problems like I have previously with cheap SD cards in cameras, etc.

Amazon seemed to be the cheapest going at the time of buying and that included pricing up pre-owned cards from the likes of Game.

In summation; the card serves it’s purpose but is very expensive for what it is.
Hopefully in time the prices will come down but it seems we’re stuck with what we have for now.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]